Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Vacation Planning Time!

I'm one of those people who need to have something to look forward to.  It can be an event like a concert or sporting event or a travel destination.  As soon as I have completed one milestone event, I start looking for the next one and this time it's our summer vacation

This year we've decided to plan a trip to Costa Rica.  I've never been to Costa Rica but I hear it's beautiful.  About two years ago, my wife Betsy and I attended a charity event for Laura's House (an abused women's shelter http://laurashouse.org/) which one of our friends co-chairs, and placed a bid on a one-week trip to Costa Rica at the Los Suenos resort.  We'd bid on and a trip to Oahu at a previous auction event and it turned out to be a great trip so we thought, "why not take a shot at the Costa Rica" trip?  Well we won again (nice to help a charity and also walk away with a vacation).

We'll two years later we are finally planning to take the trip.  Why not sooner?  Well, last year I suddenly had the urge to take my family to France and visit Paris and the Loire Valley.  I felt like it was the right time to take this trip I've wanted to go on for a couple of reasons: (1) my kids are getting older and are at an age where they can enjoy and appreciate a trip like this,    (2) my son is in his 3rd year of French and couldn't hurt to use him as a translator, and (3) the last time Betsy and I were there, it was a 2 day speed visit which left us wanting more.  That was last November and it was awesome!

The other reason we put off Costa Rica was that we've done a series of "sun-filled" trips to Hawaii, the Caribbean, and Mexico... We just needed to shake things up.

We've taken  many "sun-filled" trips because we love the beach, so here we are, back to our 2 year-old Costa Rica trip.  Now I've been told that Costa Rica has much to see and we decided to extend our trip three additional days and stay at "The Springs Resort" near the Arenal volcano for three days before starting our one-week stay at the Los Suenos resort.  This will allow us to see both the interior of the country as well as the pacific beach side. 

After careful consideration and research, we chose The Springs Resort.  The Springs Resort is beautiful and for those of you who've watched 'The Bachelor' on ABC, some episodes were filmed here.

I am picturing myself sitting in this very spot with a tropical drink served in a pineapple (not sure I can get a pineapple here or not, but you get the picture right?). 

I am looking for suggestions from anyone who has been to Costa Rica or tried any of the activities listed below.  Given the options of things to do I have made a small list  (bucket list items included) of  things to do and I am looking for any suggestions.  Also, if you know of something not listed below or a place I should include on my visit (a restaurant, park, activity, etc) please mention those as well.

Here's what I have so far....

  • ATV tour
  • River Rafting
  • Waterfall rappelling
  • Bungee Jumping
  • Horseback Riding
  • Hiking the Rim of a Volcano
  • Sport Fishing
  • Surfing
  • Golfing through the Jungle
  • Chilling on the beach visiting the national parks in search of monkeys (I love monkeys)

Betsy and I with Coco in Cancun

So please let me know if any of you have suggestions if you've been to Costa Rica, I have about a month left of planning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment